Butler handles Fort Scott on the road in 52-14 win

Butler handles Fort Scott on the road in 52-14 win

FORT SCOTT, Kan. – The Butler football team earned its second straight dominating road win, flattening Fort Scott 52-14 in a league contest on Saturday at Frary Field.

The Grizzlies scored three first-quarter touchdowns, all on throws by quarterback Hunter Vaughn. The first was a ball that was zipped into the hands of receiver Trey Hallman for a 17-yard touchdown. The second was a 20-yard pass to Callen Hightower.

Fort Scott would get its only touchdown of the first half on a 78-yard punt return by Chevelle Buie. The Grizzlies quickly responded with another touchdown pass, this one to Michael Glatczak from 21 yards out that gave Butler a 21-7 lead.

In the second quarter, Butler got a 26-yard field goal from Robert Rawlings to make it a 24-7 score and the Grizzlies got a late 18-yard touchdown run by Chris Carson, who ran untouched into the end zone on a draw play up the middle.

Butler led 31-7 at the half but took a while before getting on the board in the second half. It wasn't until Chris Carson scored on a 17-yard touchdown run with 4:49 left in the third quarter that the Grizzlies got on the board in the second half.

Later in the third quarter, Lawrence Mattison scored on a four-yard run to put Butler up 45-7.

Fort Scott would get another non-offensive touchdown on a 65-yard interception return by Terry McMillon to make it 45-14 before the Grizzlies had the final score of the game coming on a 28-yard pass over the top of the defense from Hunter Vaughn to Trey Hallman .

The Butler defense stifled Fort Scott throughout the day. The Greyhounds had 18 first downs and 265 yards of offense but turned the ball over on downs on its only two possessions inside the Butler 20-yard line. Butler also forced two turnovers – an interception by Shedrick Williams and a fumble recovered by Gabe Luna.

Offensively, Hunter Vaughn finished his day completing 25 of 42 passes for 298 yards and four touchdowns. Chris Carson ran eight times for 62 yards, an average of 7.8 yards per carry to lead the Butler attack on the ground. Michael Glatczak was the leading receiver with six catches for 75 yards. Callen Hightower and Trey Hallman also had more than 70 yards in receiving.

Butler is now 3-0 on the season and 2-0 in Jayhawk Conference play. The Grizzlies return home next Saturday for a 7 p.m. kickoff against a 1-2 Independence team at BG Products Veterans Sports Complex.