Butler falls 37-34 to Coffeyville in ranked showdown

Butler falls 37-34 to Coffeyville in ranked showdown

A potential game-tying field goal for the Butler football team sailed wide right with 46 seconds to play, allowing No. 17 Coffeyville to hold on for a 37-34 win over No. 14 Butler on Saturday at BG Products Veterans Sports Complex.

The loss ends Butler's 23-game winning streak over Coffeyville dating back to 1998.

Butler scored first in the game as Sean Rodriguez blocked a punt on Coffeyville's opening drive with the ball bouncing out of the end zone for a safety.

Coffeyville was the first team to score a touchdown, getting a 2-yard run by Cody Busby to take a 6-2 lead with 7:34 left in the first quarter.

Butler would get a 65-yard kickoff return from Marquel Wade, setting up a short drive that ended in a 2-yard touchdown run by Chris Carson.

Another long return, this time a punt return by Kolby Fennewald, gave Butler a short field early in the second quarter and Butler took advantage again, getting a 3-yard pass from Derek Lee to Andrew Reinkemeyer to put Butler up 15-6.

Coffeyville then used a big return of its own as Mikal Cromartie took the ensuing kickoff 84 yards for a touchdown that made the score 15-12.

The Red Ravens would take the lead with a touchdown pass with seven seconds left in the first half, capping a 10-play, 77-yard drive that took just 1:24 to complete. Butler trailed 19-15 at the half.

The Grizzlies got the ball to start the third quarter and used the running game to pound the ball down the field, getting a 2-yard touchdown run by Damarcus Smith to take a 21-19 lead. Coffeyville would get a short field goal later in the third quarter to go up 22-21.

Butler again pounded the ground game and got an 11-yard halfback pass from Chris Carson to Michael Gallup to put Butler up 27-22. The Grizzlies went for two points but the attempt failed.

The two teams traded touchdowns in the fourth quarter. A 19-yard screen pass from Brock Gilmore to Cody Busby, followed by a two-point conversion gave Coffeyville a 30-27 lead.

Chris Carson scored his second rushing touchdown of the game, this one from two yards out to put Butler ahead 34-30 with 14:04 to play.

The final score was Coffeyville's 6-yard run by quarterback Brock Gilmore with 9:42 to play.

Butler would get an interception in the end zone by Kolby Fennewald, giving the Grizzlies the ball at its own 20-yard line with 2:13 to go. Butler took advantage of a pair of pass interference penalties and a 29-yard pass to Julian Burris to get the ball to the Coffeyville 18.

Three straight incomplete passes set the stage for the 35-yard field goal attempt that went wide right.

Carson led the Grizzlies, rushing 23 times for 171 yards and two touchdowns. He also threw a touchdown pass. Anthony Johnson was the leading receiver with three catches for 52 yards. Damarcus Smith was 11-30 passing for 107 yards.

Butler is now 5-3 overall and 3-2 in the Jayhawk Conference. The Grizzlies go on the road next Saturday for a 7 p.m. kickoff at Garden City.