Butler run-rules Southeast on Sunday to take series

Butler run-rules Southeast on Sunday to take series

The Butler baseball team pounded Southeast Nebraska by an 11-1 score on Sunday afternoon at McDonald Stadium, with the game being called in the bottom of the seventh due to run-rule.

With the win, Butler takes the three-game series from the Storm. Southeast won the first game of a doubleheader on Saturday, but the Grizzlies rallied to win the final two games of the series by a combined score of 16-2.

On Sunday, the Grizzlies wasted little time in putting runs on the board, thanks to the generosity of Southeast's starting pitcher, who walked two batters and hit another to load the bases. Evan Koehler drove in one run with an single to right field and another run scored on an RBI groundout by Alex Weiss. The big hit of the inning was a two-run double down the right field line by Michael Cerullo, pushing the lead to 4-0.

Butler would post another big inning in the bottom of the fifth. An Alex Weiss single up the middle drove in a run, Michael Bird drew a bases-loaded walk to drive in another and Logan Beard doubled down the left field line to score three more, putting Butler up 9-1.

The Grizzlies would score one more run in the bottom of the sixth when Jeff Christen came in on a wild pitch and the game-ending run came in the bottom of the seventh when Zach Baker singled up the middle to drive in Michael Bird.

While the Butler offense was taking advantage of Southeast's nine walks allowed, the Grizzlies were walk-free when they were on the mound. Starting pitcher Brennan Walker went six strong innings, allowing just one run on four hits while striking out three. He earned the win, improving to 2-0 on the season. Max Chadsey made his Butler debut, throwing one scoreless inning with a strikeout in the top of the seventh.

Butler is now 5-4 on the season, having won five of its last six after an 0-3 start. The Grizzlies will play a home doubleheader on Monday against Northern Oklahoma-Enid. The games were scheduled to be played on Tuesday, but were moved up a day due to expected colder temperatures.